Frequently Asked Questions

We’ve answered some of the most frequently asked questions about SDA, NDIS funding, and a few others about moving in with Sana Living.   If you’ve got a question we haven’t answered,  GET IN TOUCH and we’ll help you with whatever info you’re after.

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is the home that a person lives in. It is the physical building, the ‘bricks and mortar’ that has been approved by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA). It is not the other supports (i.e. daily living assistance and therapy) that are provided by people.

If you or your client are assessed as eligible for Specialist Disability Accommodation, you will need to apply for SDA funding which will then be included in your NDIS plan to cover any disability related housing costs.

The National Disability Insurance Scheme ‘NDIS’ provides SDA funding for people with extreme functional impairment or very high support needs that require specialised housing to meet these needs.

People who get SDA approved in their NDIS plan are those who, even with appropriate home modifications and/or assistance technologies, still need a high level of in-home support from a paid worker with daily activities (ie: getting in and out of bed, getting dressed, preparing meals, accessing the community).

Funding you receive for SDA is specifically to cover the cost of the housing – including the land it is on – as well as ongoing costs such as maintenance. It can’t be used by a NDIS participant for any other purpose.

The amount of SDA funding included in an NDIS participant’s Plan will vary. It will depend on a range of factors such as the building type, how many people you live with, location and any additional features.

Sana Living will claim the amount approved within your NDIS plan. We will draw down on this money directly from our MyPlace portal.

The properties, or rooms within the properties are leased directly to the Participant.  Each person will have one or multiple service agreements with support providers.

In addition to the SDA payment, NDIS participants will be expected to make a reasonable rent contribution. This contribution is 25% of the Disability Support Pension, plus any Commonwealth Rent Assistance. Payment can be arranged electronically.

Medium Term Accommodation (also known as MTA) refers to temporary or transitional accommodation for NDIS participants who are preparing and awaiting a move into a more permanent SDA home. The NDIS funds Medium Term Accommodation for eligible participants for up to 90 days.

Examples of where MTA might be used include accommodation for younger participants at risk of being admitted into aged care, participants waiting to leave hospital waiting for disability related modifications to be completed in their home, or participants who have been found eligible for SDA waiting for vacancies or home completions.

Supported Independent Living (SIL) is assistance paid to a person to provide help in a person’s home to allow that person to live as independently as possible. It includes physical support (i.e. having a shower, getting in and out of bed) and includes keeping people safe.

SIL funding does not depend on where you live. A person may be receive SIL funding but not SDA funding. The level of funding you receive is dependent on your level of needs, as well as the number of people living in the shared setting.

For each house, participants will vote on their preferred SIL provider. This will be required to be a SIL provider with extensive experience and a passion to assist people to live independently. The majority preferred provider will be appointed and have an initial 2-year contract. At the conclusion of the 2-year period all participants will have input as to the renewal of the SIL provider.